TEHRAN (defapress)- Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif lashed out at US President Donald Trump for threatening his country, saying that the American forces should not provoke the Iranian naval forces and sailors in the Persian Gulf.
News ID: 80902
Publish Date: 23April 2020 - 20:29
“The US military is hit by over 5,000 COVID-19 infections. Trump should attend to their needs, not engage in threats cheered on by Saddam's terrorists,” Zarif wrote on his twitter page on Thursday.
“Also, US forces have no business 7,000 miles away from home, provoking our sailors off our own Persian Gulf shores,” he added.
In relevant remarks on Thursday, Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Major General Hossein Salami warned the US forces against any act of sabotage to threatening move in the Persian Gulf, after US President Donald Trump’s provocative remarks.
“We tell the Americans that we are fully determined and serious in defending our national security, water borders, security of the shipping and our defense forces’ security and will respond to any act of sabotage firmly,” General Salami said after visiting the IRGC forces stationed on the Iranian islands in the Persian Gulf.
“We have ordered our naval units to target any vessel or combat unit of the terrorist US forces who want to threaten the security of our non-combat ships or combat vessels,” he added.
General Salami referred to Trump’s Wednesday remarks who said that he had instructed the US Navy to “shoot down and destroy” Iranian vessels if they harass American ships at sea, and said that the Americans are facing confusion in their type of command and control over their military units due to engagement with their coronavirus-infected forces.
He added that the US vessels last week showed unprofessional behavior and disturbed an Iranian logistic ship.
“The Americans have in the past experienced our power and should take lesson from it,” General Salami said.
The comments by the Iranian commander came after the US Navy announced on Tuesday that it has detected 700 cases with coronavirus symptoms among the sailors of the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier.
As of Tuesday, 94% of the Roosevelt’s crew has been tested for the coronavirus as the ship nears a month since it docked in Guam due to the outbreak aboard the ship.
The US fifth fleet had claimed last week that a group of eleven Iranian naval vessels harassed six US navy vessels in the Northern Persian Gulf for about an hour on Wednesday, with one coming within just ten yards of a Coast Guard cutter.
The "dangerous and provocative actions increased the risk of miscalculation and collision ... and were not in accordance with the obligation under international law to act with due regard for the safety of other vessels in the area," the fleet, which is based in Bahrain, claimed in a statement.
The IRGC on Sunday strongly rejected the Pentagon's recent claims about the harassment of the US naval forces by the IRGC boats in the Persian Gulf as a "Hollywood" story, and further warned against the US Navy’s new “unprofessional and dangerous” moves in the waterway.
“In recent weeks, we have witnessed a repetition of the terrorist US Navy's unprofessional behavior in the Persian Gulf threatening security and tranquillity and posing new dangers to the region,” a statement by the IRGC Navy’s Public Relations Office said.
It added that in recent weeks, including on April 6 and April 7, the US warships in a dangerous move blocked the voyage of Iranian ship, Shahid Siavashi, on two separate occasions in the region, but were forced to step back after the IRGC warnings and the professional and smart moves of the Iranian vessel.
The statement said that the IRGC Navy has increased its patrolling boats in the Persian Gulf "to stop the US forces' continued illegal, unprofessional, dangerous and even adventurist behavior".
In the same context and after declaring that it is conducting drills in the region and there is a threat of shoorting in the drill zone, a group of IRGC vessels, including 11 boats, on a mission to patrol the drill zone on April 15 confronted the US warships and "despite their unprofessional and provocative measures and disrespect for the warnings, forced them to evacuate the IRGC Navy vessels' sailing path with firm resistance and bravery".
It added that the US Fifth Fleet in the region has released an incorrect and biased reading of the incident which shows the Americans’ interest in Hollywood stories.
“We advise the Americans to respect the international rules and naval protocols in the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman rathern than adventurism, fake stories and lies," the IRGC statement said, and further warned that "the powerful IRGC Navy and Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran assess foreign forces' dangerous behaviors in the region as a threat to [Iran's] national security and a redline and will hence, give a crushing response to any such miscalculation”.
It reiterated that the illegitimate presence of the US in the region is a source of mischief and insecurity, and described the US withdrawal from West Asia as the only way to establish sustainable security in the strategic region.