TEHRAN (defapress) – Yemen’s Army has repelled several assaults by Saudi-backed militants on various fronts in the provinces of Ma’rib and Jawf, the Spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces Brigadier General Yahya Saree said.
News ID: 80835
Publish Date: 19April 2020 - 21:56
The mercenaries attempted to make advances towards the city of Majraz in the central province of Ma’rib, but were pushed back by the Yemen forces, General Saree said on Saturday.
The army troops also managed to thwart a major attack by the militants in Khab Wa Shaf district of Jawf province, he added.
Tens of the militants were killed and injured in the counterattacks, Saree said.
The Yemeni military spokesman also said that Saudi warplanes had conducted nearly 21 airstrikes against the districts of Majraz and Sirwah in Ma’rib in the past 24 hours.
In a report released last week, Yemen’s Legal Center for Rights and Development, an independent monitoring group, put the civilian death toll in the war-torn Arab country at 16,075. The fatalities, it said, comprise 3,901 children and 2,462 women.
The rights body said the bombings have also wounded 41,476 civilians, including 4,220 children and 3,039 women.
Armed with American and British ammunition and European warplanes, among other Western-supported military hardware, the kingdom launched the campaign against Yemen in March 2015.