TEHRAN (defapress) - A squadron of Yemeni drones and missiles targeted Saudi Arabia’s sensitive sites in the capital Riyadh and elsewhere, the spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces said.
News ID: 80668
Publish Date: 31March 2020 - 12:48
Brigadier General Yahya Saree said on Sunday afternoon that Sammad-3 (Invincible-3) unmanned aerial vehicles and Zulfiqar short-range ballistic missiles struck designated targets in Riyadh Saturday night with great precision.
He noted that Yemeni army forces and allied fighters from Popular Committees launched a barrage of Badr short-range ballistic missiles in addition to a squadron of Qasef-2k (Striker-2k) combat drones to pound economic and military sites in Saudi Arabia’s southern border regions of Jizan, Najran and Asir, according to Press TV.
Saree reiterated that Yemeni soldiers and Popular Committees fighter will continue its “painful strikes” deep inside the kingdom as long as the Riyadh regime presses ahead with its deadly aggression and all-out blockade.
The top Yemeni military official concluded that more details about Sunday’s retaliatory military operation will be publicized in the next few days.
Earlier in the day, local Yemeni source, requesting not to be named, said that the Yemeni forces had fired ballistic missiles at targets in Riyadh.
Saudi-owned and Dubai-based Al Arabia television news network reported that at least two missiles had been “intercepted” above Riyadh, while another one was “destroyed” over the southern border city of Jizan.
The report came as a spokesperson for Saudi Arabia’s Civil Defense said two people were wounded in the strikes. The contradictory accounts have not been explained yet by Saudi authorities.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched the devastating war on Yemen in March 2015 in order to bring Riyadh-allied former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi back to power and crushing the Houthi Ansarullah movement.
The US-based Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, estimates that the war has claimed more than 100,000 lives over the past nearly five years.