Updated in: 25 February 2020 - 13:01
most visited
TEHRAN (defapress)- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said he is open to talks with President Donald Trump in the hope of repairing ties with the US, while blaming Trump’s hawkish advisers for feeding him a distorted narrative.
News ID: 79949
Publish Date: 19January 2020 - 15:22

Maduro Says Time for Direct Talks with Trump, Blames Pompeo, Co for US ‘Failure’ in VenezuelaIn an interview with The Washington Post, published on Saturday, Maduro stated that he would like to sit down with his US counterpart, suggesting that both countries would benefit from rapprochement based on mutual respect.

"If there’s respect between governments, no matter how big the United States is, and if there’s a dialogue, an exchange of truthful information, then be sure we can create a new type of relationship," he added.

The outlet reported that Maduro also suggested Caracas was poised to open its oil industry to US companies if Washington lifts its crippling sanctions on Venezuela’s oil and financial sectors, and agrees to pursue a detente with the Latin American country.

The Venezuelan leader described the US policy in relation to the country so far as a “failure”, arguing that Trump had been led astray by his own Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and a chorus of hardliners rooting for regime change in Venezuela.

"I think Pompeo lives in a fantasy. He’s not a man with his feet on Earth. I think Trump has had terrible advisers on Venezuela. John Bolton, Mike Pompeo, Elliott Abrams have caused him to have a wrong vision," he noted.

Speaking about US-backed opposition figurehead Juan Guaido, who declared himself ‘interim’ president of Venezuela a year ago, but has since not only failed to gain support but also lost his speaker seat in the opposition-led National Assembly to another lawmaker, Maduro stated that Guaido’s own lapses, not his government, are the reason behind the lawmaker’s fall from grace among his own peers.

“Guaido is responsible for having lost the National Assembly. He and his mistakes. Don’t blame me now. He’s the one that now has to answer to the United States,” Maduro added.

Guaido claimed that his bid to get re-elected as the the parliament's leader failed after he was “blocked” by security forces from entering the chamber on January 5, when the crucial vote was held. A dramatic video showed him scaling a fence in an attempt to get into the building. While the video was picked up by mainstream media, other footage showed him chatting with guards and refusing to enter until the deputies who lost their mandates pending criminal prosecution were also allowed inside. In the wake of the incident, Caracas accused Guaido of pulling a PR stunt to mask his lack of support in the opposition-led legislature.

Message end/

 

 

 

Tags: Maduro ، Pompeo
your comment
Name:
Email:
* Comment: