TEHRAN (defapress) – The spokesman for Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah Movement and the chief negotiator in UN-brokered peace talks, Mohammad Abdul-Salam, blamed the US government for recent increased tensions in the Middle East region.
News ID: 78109
Publish Date: 19July 2019 - 20:06
Speaking at a Thursday meeting with Iranian Ambassador to Oman Mohammad Reza Nouri Shahroudi, Abdul-Salam pointed to latest regional developments and said the US moves to create tensions have made the region stand “on the brink of an abyss”.
He further emphasized that “absurd measures” by some regional Arab states and their miscalculation of developments may also lead to “an explosion of the situation”.
Both Yemen and Iran believe that creating tensions in the region are not in favor of any country, the spokesman went on to say.
During the meeting, the Iranian diplomat also discussed the latest regional developments, including the humanitarian crisis in Yemen.
Yemen’s defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the coalition for more than four years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.
Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been carrying out deadly airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to fugitive former President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
Official UN figures say that more than 15,000 people have been killed in Yemen since the Saudi-led bombing campaign began.
The Saudi war has impacted over seven million children in Yemen who now face a serious threat of famine, according to UNICEF figures. Over 6,000 children have either been killed or sustained serious injuries since 2015, UN children’s agency said. The humanitarian situation in the country has also been exacerbated by outbreaks of cholera, polio, and measles.